Troubleshooting JK Optical Printer and Bolex camera operation.
A) Printing motor sounds
B) Synchronous operation
C) Film in projector runs
Motor not properly aligned with
1 to 1 shaft.
1. Film gate improperly installed
2. Pour lubrication or cleaning
3. Camera on REV mode
4. Film original contains damaged or
1. Film original badly shrunken.
2. If bipacking, outside film of bipack
is wrong pitch or shrunken.
3. Film gate requires realignment,
registration pins are not penetrating
into film perforation.
1 Film gate improperly threaded, and
the same possible causes as listed
1. Take-up belt not connected.
2. Take-up belt connected improperly.
1. Camera variable shutter closed.
2. Lens cap on.
1. Camera advance claw not properly
2. Camera pressure bad is loose.
3. Camera 1 to 1 shaft and motor coupling
is 180 degree out of position.
1. Bad splices, torn or shrunken
perforation vent through projector.
2. Multiple exposure improperly executed.
3. Camera loosing film loop occasionally.
1. Bolex viewfinder prism dusty or dirty.
2. Bolex filter dirty or bent.
3. Light source not properly aligned.
4. Line voltage drops substantially
Loosen camera motor mounting screws and
reposition motor so that the coupling is
centered with camera shaft.
1. Reinstall and check for proper alignment.
2. Clean and lubricate
3. Switch to FWD mode
4. Repair perforation and /or splices.
1. See above.
2. Attempt to print one frame at a time by
using manual single advance button.
3. Transpose film layers of bipack.
1. See threading diagram.
1. Check why belt is not working.
2. Give a half twist and replace on
1. Open shutter and remove the lens cap.
1. See repair service.
2. Read Initial set-up instructions.
3. See motor installation.
1. See B and C above.
2. Read a Bolex hand book for multiple
3. See Bolex repair service or call
Meritex for service.
1. Open a camera turret exposing the beam
splitter prism, swing out and clean.
2. Place all filters in between the light
source and film original.
3. Realign light source and install diffusion
glass in between lamp and film gate.
4. Run lamp through a voltage regulator, or
unplug any heavy appliances during printing.
Browse MERITEX products